Parents’ Guide | Part 2: In advance – the paperwork

In the second part of our Parents’ Guide series, we look at some of the paperwork you’ll need to consider completing for your son or daughter’s course.

Student finance forms

Student finance forms for tuition fee loans and maintenance grants and loans are usually completed from March onwards but application forms for support can be submitted once an application for an undergraduate course has been made. It’s important to ensure that these are completed and submitted in good time. For continuing students the Local Authority will continue to process these and then confirm personal eligibility to financial support. This information is then passed to Student Finance England who will process your application for payment. New student applications must be made directly through Student Finance England. When your son or daughter enrols at university, the university confirms this with Student Finance England who will then release the payment.

Students on NHS-funded courses will need to apply to the NHS Student Grants Unit in order to apply for support. Students on NHS-funded degree courses can also apply to their Local Education Authority for assessment for eligibility for student maintenance loans in additional to the means-tested NHS Bursary. Students on NHS-funded diploma or graduate diploma courses are not eligible to apply for additional support from the Student Finance England.

Students on the Social Work degree will need to apply for the Social Work bursary once they have received  confirmation of their fee assessment from Student Finance England.

Irrespective of which course your son or daughter will be studying, it’s always worth having a safety cushion of cash to cover expenses for the first few weeks of term in case there is any delay in receiving funding support.

Accommodation application

Applications for accommodation at Birmingham City University can be submitted once an offer of a place has been firmly accepted by an applicant. We start to process applications and allocate rooms from mid-June onwards so it’s important, wherever possible, to have submitted an application for university accommodation in good time. Applicants who apply to us through Clearing in August need not worry as we do take this into account when forecasting accommodation allocations and will still accept applications for accommodation at this time. Applications for accommodation at Birmingham City University are made online at

Health/ teaching students – Occupational Health and/ or Criminal Records Bureau forms

For some health and teaching courses, students are required to achieve satisfactory Occupational Health and/ or Criminal Records Bureau clearance as part of the conditions of their offer of a place. Ensure that your son or daughter has filled in all of the appropriate paperwork and sent this off in good time, as these can take some time to process. Delays in receiving satisfactory clearances can mean that students are unable to attend their practice placements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>