The programme aims to:
- Ensure PhD students are aware of what skills and experience they need to acquire during their PhD study in order to stand a good chance of academic employment afterwards, and of how they should present their skills and experience to potential employers.
- Improve PhD students’ teaching ability and range of competence.
- Improve PhD students’ research skills e.g. oral presentation of research, preparing papers for publication, writing proposals and applying for research funding.
- Develop an informal network for PhD students that extends beyond their own institution to students in other regional universities.
- Provide informal networking opportunities by bringing students into contact with academics outside their own institution.