As part of #WeAreInternational – a national social media campaign which celebrates international students studying in the UK, our international #BCUstudents will be sharing their thoughts and experiences on studying here at Birmingham City University. Look out for the #WeAreInternational hashtag and tell us your story! 

From Cyprus to Birmingham, MA Television Production student Maria shares her journey on studying in the UK…

I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since the first time I arrived in England. Well, my story begins as a senior in high school looking for universities. From an early age, my dream was to study abroad in England. Not only do I love the culture, but I have family here so I thought it would be awesome to go abroad and discover my roots.

BCU Fact: We welcome over 22,500 students from over 80 countries to study with us.

And then finally the day I started the most amazing journey of my life finally came. There I was, heading to Birmingham, leaving Cyprus for the first time and taking on an opportunity of a lifetime. I walked onto the plane with my dad and mum with nervousness and excitement. This was really happening and there was no turning back. When we arrived, we got a taxi to take us to Wolverhampton- a small town next to Birmingham, where I had my degree in Broadcasting and Journalism. On the first day, we took the train to go visit Birmingham.

Birmingham city has really nice architecture. We walked for hours discovering everything from shops, museums to restaurants. I just couldn’t get over the fact that I was living in England for the next four years and when I looked up at the sky, all I could think about was “YIHA! This is real and I’m here.” I knew from this moment that I had to make the most out of my experience abroad. Each weekend, I either travelled to other cities or explored Birmingham. Living In England and becoming a part of the British culture is totally different from just visiting as a tourist.

BCU Fact: We are the biggest producer of creative professionals outside the South East and the UK’s most successful recruiter for art and design in China and Malaysia. We also run courses in Hong Kong and Thailand.

When you have so much fun, the time and years are passing in front of you- not noticing that is it my last year. I couldn’t believe that I had nearly finished my degree. Soon I’d be becoming a journalist and I’d have to leave England. I didn’t want to leave and now I’m not going to at least for another 2-3 years. In my final year I decided to start applying for my Masters. I didn’t want to leave Birmingham as I’ve been here for 4 years. I like it as it’s much more friendlier than London so I decided to apply to Universities in Birmingham. Lucky for me, I  found the university that will help me to build more on my career.

Birmingham City University is the University of my dreams. Everything I was looking for from my previous experience in university and what I needed, I found it here. There are so many amazing benefits of studying abroad. In addition, to being educational, it’s also a ton of fun to be in a foreign country and catching a glimpse of a new culture, even if it’s only for a few days. It truly opens your eyes to how much there is to explore in the world.

BCU Fact: The fourth most cost-effective city in the UK in which to study (NatWest Student Living Index 2014).

Studying abroad has made me grow into a more independent person and it completely changed my perspective on life. From the shy girl that I was in high school to the outgoing girl in university that I am now, studying abroad has helped me develop into a better person.

Are you questioning if studying abroad is worth it or if the studying abroad experience is as amazing as everyone says? The answer to these two questions is YES! I’m gaining amazing memories, meeting amazing people, travelling and having the time of my life. I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything. If you have the chance to study abroad, please do because you will not regret it. Not one second of it. It’s a chance of a lifetime and it is one that you remember for the rest of your life!

Birmingham City University is a vibrant and multicultural university in the heart of a modern and diverse city, which has recently been named by Rough Guide as one of the ‘top 10 cities in the world’. If you would like to study your degree in the UK, view our wide range of courses here.