As part of #WeAreInternational – a national social media campaign which celebrates international students studying in the UK, our international #BCUstudents will be sharing their thoughts and experiences on studying here at Birmingham City University. Look out for the #WeAreInternational hashtag and tell us your story! 

From India to Birmingham, Business and Human Resource Management student Jaspreet shares his journey on studying in the UK…

I always had a dream to study in the UK since my childhood. I always used to see big London buses, various castles and read a lot about the history of the country. After my 12th grade in India, I decided to study abroad. After looking at various courses provided by various universities, I decided to apply to BCU. I was granted my visa with god’s grace.

At that moment I was like “ Yes, Jaspreet Singh, you will be living your dream now.”

I still remember the night before coming to UK I never slept. I was too excited to come to the UK! The whole of my family was assuming I was going to be landing in Birmingham but when I checked my ticket it was from Amritsar to London! The whole of the plan then changed. Finally I arrived at Birmingham City University.

On my first day at university, I was so nervous that I ate my lunch sitting outside near a tree by myself. As the time passed my nervousness, shyness and phobias started to diminish. With the help of university teachers, the student union, societies and academic support from the university, I conquered my fears and turned them into strengths. The university life – especially at BCU is fantastic. Perhaps fantastic is the wrong word as its even better than fantastic. I’m a second year student and already I have learned and achieved so much in this country. I simply love my university especially my Birmingham City Business School. It was great to see how people with different ethnicities, races, colours and beliefs were living together as back in my country I had a very narrow view.

With loads of opportunities and facilities, being at university has helped me to develop as an individual.

It’s great that BCU have a very practical approach towards the studies.

I have achieved so much and still willing to achieve even more. So far I have competed in an inter-university competition representing BCU. I was given an iPad mini by the university for my excellent contribution in the Leadership Challenge. Yes, not only have the university awarded me an iPad but I have also won £160 worth of vouchers! Recently, I was a part of a team that represented BCU at an inter-university dance competition (Capital Bhangra) which we won third place in. I have got even more feathers in my cap throughout this journey so far.

My aim is to become the best HR professional in next 6 years. I feel really proud of my achievements and to be part of this university. Anyone reading this I would say one thing: “Life at BCU is awesome”.

Birmingham City University is a vibrant and multicultural university in the heart of a modern and diverse city, which has recently been named by Rough Guide as one of the ‘top 10 cities in the world’. If you’re thinking about studying here in the UK, visit our International section on our website for more information on how to apply